Friday, January 23, 2009

Things learned over time, Part 1

This is going to be an on going series of quick posts.  Some of those quick little tid bits of information that once you know you never forget, but up until that point it makes things harder than they need to be.

I typically change directories to where I want files to end up if say I am using wget or xcopy.  I used to do xcopy z:\some\directory\* c:\Users\Steve\Desktop\Directory 

now I have either realized or learnd from someone that you can do 

xcopy z:\some\directory\* .

Saves a lot of typing and reduces mistakes.  Again you have to be in the directory for it to work.
Alternatively if you open a command prompt by default you are in your home directory, so if I wanted the same outcome but didn't want to change directories I would do 
xcopy z:\some\directory Desktop\Directory

Of course this works on Linux as well as Windows but the paths and slashes will be different.

No comments: