Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Firefox 3: places.sql to bookmarks.html conversion

Sometimes, just sometimes you jump the gun and upgrade too soon. Well as it turns out I did that when I first started my new job. Our home grown web app renders perfectly in Firefox 2 but looks odd in Firefox 3. Also one of the plugins we need to run is very unstable in Firefox 3 so I had to revert back.

If I had known this a month ago and not started accumulating bookmarks all over the place I would have been fine, but that was not the case. The main problem is that Firefox 3 uses a new places.sqlite SQL database to keep track of bookmarks instead of the tried and true bookmarks.html. I went online looking for some sort of conversion program, thought about making my own (which I still might do just as a proof of concept / fun project.)

So anyway, here is how to have Firefox 3 save a bookmarks.html file in addition to the places.sqlite. Open a new tab and go to about:config. Click "Ok" when it asks if you will be careful. Now browse down to "browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML" and change this from the default of "false" to "true". Restart Firefox and you will have your bookmarks.html file updated as you add new bookmarks.

If I ever do create a conversion program I will post the link on this site.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hope it works and the purpose of this is? Having your bookmarks in ff3 as html only or both html and database. isnt there a conversion program to run bookmarks through to convert them back to database after one has edited them? Upgrade I wont again. there was no warning on that upgrade. I did wind up with multiple bookmarks and what a joy that was.
Learning [hardway] to backup profile and bookmarks in FireFox. Thinking to use a program with FF to keep bookmarks and such separate from it but convient.
thanks for listening.

Anonymous said...

Did you know you can paste all the folders in the bookmark sidebar into word and then clik and they open in ff3 in a new tab? copy and paste into word but you cannot paste them back into the ff3 bookmark side bar, of course. I have and made a shortcut to my bookmark .doc. repercussions we will see. so far it works. word 2003 and dont know about the rest. This way I can paste the url directly in a folder of my choosing and will always stay that way no matter what version of ff i use or any other browser.
thanks for listening.

Anonymous said...

That's a nice tip for if you want to keep your bookmarks readily available & always up to date for an older version of firefox (or other gecko browser). However, if you just need it once, it's easy to export your current list to an html file. Click bookmarks->organize bookmarks. Now in the window that pops up, click "import & backup"->export HTML. Choose where you want to save the file & you're done.