Monday, July 23, 2007

How to: Fix Background Cleanup Errors

During my morning checks of the servers I run the command Test-Systemhealth on my Microsoft Exchange 2007 server and I was getting the error "The 'Background Cleanup' value for mailbox store '[Mailbox Store Name]' on Server '[Exchange Server Name]' is missing. This will cause mailbox size discrepancies.

To fix this I found a Microsoft Technet Article "Background Cleanup interval for a mailbox store is missing". It supplies an easy fix for my problem.

Open a registry editor, such as Regedit.exe or Regedt32.exe.
Navigate to: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\\Private-

Create a DWORD value called Background Cleanup with value data of 60000 (decimal) or 0xEA60 (hexadecimal). Do this for each mailbox on the server.

Close the registry editor. To make the changes take effect, do one of the following:
Dismount and mount the affected information stores.
Restart the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service.

No comments: