If you are running Exchange 2007 and you are getting the above error message from users outside your organization there is a very simple fix.
Set-ReceiveConnector -identity "Default [SERVERNAME]" -maxmessagesize 20MB
That will double your receive limit from the internet. Now if you want to go bigger you could do:
Set-ReceiveConnector -identity "Default [SERVERNAME]" -maxmessagesize 1GB
but that is not recommened at all.
The available options for the size are: B (bytes), KB (kilobytes), MB (megabytes), & GB (gigabytes). The maximum you can do is 2GB and any unqualified sizes are treated as bytes.
If there are other options you want to change with your Receive Connectors check out Set-ReceiveConnector on TechNet.
brilliant fix. worked for me first time. Just goes to show the default "unlimited" limit in the RTM version is not quite as it seems. SP1 is suppose to set 10MB default - not sure if it will overwrite this value and require it to be re set.
thanks !! Just had problems to find out the way to put default servername correct :P
For those of you who need to find out the default hostname, do a "Get-ReceiveConnector" and it will list all receive connectors.
does not work with me! I have set the limits up to 20 GB for sending and for receiving. Readings the stats via the cmdlets shows the correct values.
Now sending works fine, but receiving mail > 10 MB creates the old known problem.
In front of ES, I have a ForeFront TMG running. Maybe there's another limit?
Bye, Joe (email@example.com)
All I get it 'object not found on dc.domain.com'
This is a pain!
it took me:
googled it:5 sec,
click the link: 1 sec,
page to load: 5 sec,
copy the command: 2 sec,
open RDP to server+connection: 10 sec,
open shell: 5 sec,
paste and change the Server Name: 7 8 sec.
Total of: 46 sec to solve the problem.
I got it set about everywhere to 500MB and am still getting a 10MB limit. I am mid transistion from Exchange 2003 to 2007 and the people on the 2007 server can't send files over 10MB to external email addresses. Internal email addresses work fine and the ones still on the Exchange 2003 work fine.
how do i view my current settings?
As one of the comments says earler, Get-ReceiveConnector will show you what is currently set.
For those that this solution did not work:-
set your header size to greater than or equal to 128kb.
set-receiveconnector -identity servername\identity -MaxHeaderSize
If this still does not work you may have the following scenario that tricked me for a bit.
We have an Exchange server (no kidding!) but our spam filter lives on another server and has an SMTP instance on it.
Make sure this instance is set to an appropriate size as the default SMTP instance is 2MB.
I am running exchange 2007 with TMG infront of it (prebundeled in EBS). I notice there are allot of message size restrictions at each stage, Forefront TMG has receive connectors and send connectors which feed into the exchange server (which again has its own send/receive connectors). There are also size restrictions which get applied to each individual mailbox as policy.
Much easier way:
This works, but there may be more than one receiver. On mine I changed all the receivers to the size required.
Make sure you restart the transport service as well.
In my case I have updated the Message size limit in receive connectors at 20480KB in all Hub Servers and I am able to send successfully. Exchange 2010. Hope your side also works.
For the settings to take effect instantly, I needed to restart the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service.
Post a Comment