Monday, March 12, 2007

Spiceworks has grown up!

Today Spiceworks has been upgraded to version 1.5!
The biggest (and most requested) feature they brought into this release is Multi-user support. Now my boss has access to the same information that I do. (Weather or not he ever uses it is another story. ;) ) They also now allow users to send an email to a specific email address and have it alert me to a new help ticket. I have started putting all help requests into Spiceworks and any maintenance tasks that I need to do as well for better tracking / record keeping of what I do to specific systems.

I hope that this wonderful product continues to grow and become even better. They have a large (and growing) community of IT professionals requesting features and asking for support with their networks. I have yet to ask a question my self, but I try to browse them in order to help other users.

I have talked about Spiceworks in a past post. For those of you that don't know Spiceworks is Information Technology Management software, but is free to use. It is geared to small companies with less than 250 devices (like ours, though not by much).

There are a few things that I would like to see come into this software in future versions, but none of them are show stoppers. Also a few of the new features still need some polish put on to them before I would have external (to our company) using this software.

No comments: